Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Sooner I Fall Behind, the More Time I Have to Catch-Up

That is a quote about procrastion,  again someone needed to remind me that I needed to update my blog.   I have become the creature of habit smoking the same thing day in and day out, but with the IPCPR show a few weeks away new product is making its way to my local cigar shops. It's like Christmas only more exciting.

The other day I was reminded that it was Maduro Monday, which is followed by Torpedo Tuesday, Habano Hump Day (which recently replaced Wavell Wednesday), Toro Thursday, Full Bodied Friday, and Sumatra, Sun Grown, or Shaggy Saturdays and Sundays.

Here is the San Lotano by A.J Fernandez, it is a Maduro but it also is a Toro, whiche means I can smoke it on a Thursday without getting any more grief from Shelley at Ambassador Fine Cigars
Breaking News:  Effective Immediately Wavell Wednesday is now Habano Hump Day! It makes it a lot easier to find something that falls within the guidelines of Themed Smoking Days.  Hindsight being forsight this looked good on paper, but is a royal pain in the ass!

<----At left is the San Lotano Habano Lancero, this cigar was paired with water but half-way through the smoke, I picked up tall hot blonde, from Starbucks, which brought out further notes of coffee  I was picking up along with a bit of earthiness.  This is a significantly more complexed cigar that the Maduro.


My favorite day of the week is Thursday. A few months back I started using the phrase S H I T, or So Happy It's Thurday.  What naturally occurred next was the creation of the SHIT Smoke.  Meant to be similar to the TGIF Smoke or the new MILF Smoke (MILF, meaning Man I Love Friday), the SHIT Smoke is gaining traction.  Well it's gaining traction at least on Twitter.

Recently I branched out and enjoyed the Viaje TNT ------->
With it's fuse like cap and closed foot, this is one explosive cigar.
Reminder Friday is Full Bodied Friday, but with all the new stuff arriving I had go "Against the Grain" and light up the new CLE 11/18 Corojo.  This cigar is classic corojo, spicy, burned slow, with a decent amount of  strength but not overpowering.  It is well priced and a thoroughly enjoyable cigar. 








In addition to the Corojo CLE also released the Cuarenta. Also available in the 11/18 size the Cuarenta  has a Habano wrapper  making it a flavorful medium-bodied smoke.

Last week I was given a pre-release of the Room 101  Papi Chulo (4 inch by 42 ring) Daruma.  I will describe this as a medium to full bodied smoke that left me wanting another one!







Wednesday evening was the monthly meetup of the West Valley Cigar Club, Chet Parker the president of the club, goes well out his way to make sure the events are memorable.  This event was about education, Professor Eric Parkinson  taught Cigar 101, topics included Region, Tobacco, Tasting Notes. The highlight of the event was the panel discussion that broke out between, Eric, Vartan Seferian, and Patrick Lagreid about Cuban Cigars.  It was like EF Hutton, when these three very knowledgable individuals spoke and people listened! And listened intently.  I also learned to Retro-Hale.  Retro-haling, in other words, is to smoke a cigar through the nose. It also helps distinguish much more flavors.

On a side note I won one of the door prizes (Above)  which include Cigars from Ajo, Cusano, Camacho, Berger and Argenti, Kristoff, Davidoff, Hoya de Monterrey, Vartan, and Rockey Patel.
The Hoya de Monterrey Reposado en Cedros figuardo,  as I understand it,  this cigar is agedin a cedar-lined aging room  via a process called immersion . I paired this with a glass of Robert Mondavi Meritage. I would have expected this to be heavy on the cedar notes but this cigar, in my humble opinion, was fairly well balanced with a straight burn and clear draw.

Bill Krawczyk, was my creative director at the Roseville Press Tribune. Bill, early on in my career, told me that some of the best ads are wine labels and cigar bands.  The band on the Flor De Las Antilles from My Fathers Cigar is one of the most beautfil pieces of art I have ever seen and is a fitting tribute to the Cuban heritage.  The Sungrown wrapper give this cigar a medium body, with fairly full flavors and its a box press!  Which gets it extra points in my book




WE INTERRUPT THIS BLOG POSE FOR YET ANOTHER HABOOB

This went thru the entire Phoenix Metro Area including  the cities of Scottsdale, Gilbert, Mesa, Apache Junction, Santan Valley, Chandler, Casa Grande and downtown Phoenix. by the time it our house, in the Southwest Valley it had lost most of it's steam




There was no official data on the size of this Haboob but it was estimated 2,000 feet tall and 40 miles wide and brought along with it winds of 35-50 MPH.

Sunday I tried another one of my door prize cigars.  The Padilla 1923 Torpedo.  This cigar has a Nicaraguan corojo wrapper, Cuban seed Nicaraguan criollo binder and filler.  I will again describe the cigar as medium to full bodied.

Anyway's need a laugh check out this new Facebook Page
Seriously? Silly sh!t said in the cigar lounge.  Quotes are real, ALL to real, only the names have been removed to prevent embarassment to those who actually said this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment